Holly Roach Knight presented her research on internal conflict and social change. While many of us might get discouraged from confronting conflict in organizing, Holly taught us that conflict is inherent and natural to the process of social change. If we bring our habitual and engrained responses to conflict into our interactions, we risk harming other people as well as the work. Sociological discourse has long argued how change happens, conflict theory often being the victor, which means that change literally happens through conflict. Holly guided us to even train for its eventuality, populating our organizing toolboxes with skills and wisdom for navigating harm and working toward repair.
For the video recording of the session, click here.
To see Holly’s power point presentation, click here.
We will also be asking you for your input on the research design for a community based research project collecting 80 years of social justice history in Charlotte. You can read more about this evolving project here and give feedback on the project here.
If you missed our first training – Listening Project: Learning From 80 Years of Social Justice Organizing History in Charlotte, Monday, October 25, 2021, 6-8 pm you can view the recording here
Save the date for our future social justice and community organizing free trainings:
- Harm & Repair: Embracing Conflict as Social Change with Holly Roach Knight, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 7-9 pm
- Spiral of Transformative Change: A Liberatory Approach to Racial Equity with Ambrose Consulting + Tepeyac Consulting, Tuesday, March 28th, 2022, 7-9 pm
- 23rd Annual White Privilege Conference Wade in the Water: Race, Religion, and Reciprocity, March 9 to 12, 2022
- Election Season Event: April 2022 Candidates of Color Forum with Rev. Vahisha Hasan M.Div., M.A., Ed.S., Tuesday, April 5, 2022 Time: 7-9 pm
- Deep Resiliency & Healing Space for Liberators (BIPOC* Only) with Rev. Vahisha Hasan M.Div., M.A., Ed.S., Tuesday, June 14, 2022, Time: 7-9 pm
For more information, contact Rabbi Judy Schindler, email@example.com.