How to Teach the Holocaust
Teaching the complex history of the Holocaust can feel intimidating.
Depending on where you are in your journey as a Holocaust educator, you may be asking yourself…
- Where do I even begin?
- What terminology should I be using? What images should I be showing?
- What should I not do?
- How can I ensure I am honoring the lives lost?
- How can I make the Holocaust relevant to my students’ worlds today?
- and so much more…
We understand the enormous responsibility you have as a Holocaust educator and we are here to help you on your journey. Below is a list of pedagogical resources that you may find helpful as a starting point for your own learning. Please contact Katie Cunningham, Holocaust Curriculum and Outreach Specialist, at email@example.com with any needs or questions.
Pedagogical Resources from Renowned Institutions
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Echoes and Reflections from Yad Vashem are the world’s leaders in Holocaust education. They offer an abundance of resources to start you on your journey.
Where to Begin
- USHMM Guidelines for Teaching About the Holocaust
- Echoes and Reflections Pedagogical Principles for Effective Holocaust Instruction
- USHMM Age Appropriateness
- USHMM Rationale and Learning Objectives
- USHMM Getting Started Guide
- USHMM Training Videos for Educators
- Echoes and Reflections Educator Video Toolbox
Online Courses and Pre-Recorded trainings
- Echoes and Reflections Online Courses
- Echoes and Reflections Webinar Recordings
- Echoes and Reflections Students’ Toughest Questions
- USHMM Frequently Asked Questions about the Holocaust for Educators
- USHMM Ask a Museum Educator
- Echoes and Reflections Audio Glossary
- Visit our Teaching Through Testimony Educational Resources page for resources specific to using witness testimony in your classroom.
Greenspon Center Certification in Holocaust Pedagogy
The Greenspon Center offers a yearly certification program in Holocaust pedagogy. Visit our Certification in Holocaust Pedagogy page to learn more about the program and how to apply.