We are thrilled that Michelle Alexander will be the Queens University Learning Society speaker on the evening of November 19, 2019. Our podcast explores her book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
Dr. Willie Keaton and Rabbi Judy Schindler were joined in conversation by Robert Coppel, former Assistant Public Defender in Miami Dade County for close to thirty years. Robert is the current volunteer leader of our Stan Greenspon Center Criminal Justice Team. He joined us to share his experience and wisdom.
Here are some opportunities for getting engaged with this work:
- Dr. Willie Keaton will be leading a book discussion on The New Jim Crow on Monday, October 14, 2019, at 7:00 pm in the Everett Library at Queens University.
- The Greenspon Center will be holding our 4th annual fall education program entitled “Call to Action Criminal Justice Education Series.” Sessions will be held on the following Tuesdays from 6:45-8:45pm in Ketner Auditorium, Sykes Learning Center at Queens University of Charlotte.
- Tuesday, October 29: Documentary Film: Life after Life, Directed by Tamara Perkins. Followed by Panel Discussion moderated by Tamara Perkins.
- Tuesday, November 5: Staged Reading of Original Play: Death of Justice by Rev. Dr. Willie J. Keaton Jr., Greenspon Center Justice Organizer and Pastor at Mount Olive Presbyterian Church.
- Tuesday, November 12: Challenges and Legal Barriers of Reentry from Jail and/or Prison with a panel of Charlotte leaders in law enforcement including Sheriff Garry McFadden and District Attorney Spencer Merriweather.
- Click here to register for the Fall Series.
- For more information on all the events at Queens surrounding Michelle Alexander’s visit and to purchase tickets click here.
Justice Calls Charlotte… we invite you to answer
Episode 2: Michelle Alexander’s the New Jim Crow
To sponsor an episode and in that process support our work of justice in Charlotte, please contact Talia Goldman, email@example.com.