The Time is Now!!!
2021 Petition in Support of Restorative Justice for Charlotte-Mecklenburg
We support Commissioner Mark Jerrell’s call and framework for restorative justice for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Mecklenburg County has a long history of discriminatory practices and policies against African Americans — among them enslavement, redlining, Jim Crow laws, urban renewal, gentrification, and school and hospital segregation. They have caused great harm to all of us in every realm from health to wealth to jobs and education. We believe that the time is now to right historic wrongs – to acknowledge the harm, to invest in equity and restorative measures, and to perpetuate just systems for our future.
Click here to view Commissioner Jerrell’s Proposed Restorative Justice – Targeted Equity Investment (Framework)
To sign on to this Restorative Justice for Charlotte-Mecklenburg petition click here.
Other things you can do:
- The listen to the recording of the virtual Restorative Justice Teach-In that took place on April 13, 6:00 to 7:30 pm, click here.
- Email County Manager Dena Diorio saying that restorative justice matters to you (email@example.com).
- Write your own County Commissioner and At-Large Commissioners about why the time is now for restorative justice in Charlotte-Mecklenburg. Click here for County Commissioners’ contact information.
- Sign up to speak at an upcoming County Commission meeting in support of Commissioner Jerrell’s framework (especially at the budget hearing on May 12th at 6:00 pm). Click here to register to speak.
- Talk to your neighbors, friends, family and clergy about why you care about restorative justice
- Buy RJCLT (Restorative Justice CLT) clothing and other items to support the cause, click here to shop.
- Take a photo of you wearing the clothing and post on social media, #Restorativejustice4CLT #RJCLT #thetimeisnowCLT #stangreensponcenter
- Like RJCLT and the Stan Greenspon Center for Peace and Social Justice on Facebook and follow us on social media
- If your organization wants to join our coalition, please contact Rabbi Judy Schindler, firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Willie Keaton, email@example.com.
Coalition in Support of Restorative Justice for Charlotte-Mecklenburg
- The Brooklyn Collective
- Carolina Jews for Justice (CJJ/CLT) – Charlotte Chapter
- Charlotte Clergy Coalition for Justice
- First United Methodist Church
- Health Care Justice—NC
- Homeless Services Network of Charlotte-Mecklenburg (comprised of 36 agencies)
- Myer Park Baptist Church
- NAACP at Queens University of Charlotte
- NAACP Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Branch
- QC Family Tree
- Reimagining America Project: The Truth, Reconciliation, and Atonement Commission of Charlotte (RAP/TRACC)
- Restorative Justice CLT
- Stan Greenspon Center for Peace and Social Justice
- United Missionary Baptist Association
- YWCA Central Carolinas
Thank you for all the work and collaboration involved in putting this together.
Yes to the petition in support of Restorative Justice for Charlotte-Mecklenburg
We are committed to creating social justice for everyone in Charlotte and beyond. Thank you for this excellent work and for inviting the strong partnerships we need to succeed. Forward together!
I believe you wanted me to add Poor People’s Campaign to the list of coalition partners. How do you want to be listed? Charlotte Poor People’s Campaign? Thanks!
Thanks for your work!